Forbidden Love
Image by Camila… via Flickr

Our fascination with Vampires is not new. It dates back hundreds of years. But they’ve always been portrayed as outcasts, shunned from the world into their dark corner. “Bloodsuckers”, they’ve been called, sleeping in coffins and living in large mansions filled with cobwebs and bats.

I’ve always had an aversion to vampires and was never drawn to Bram Stoker’s Dracula the way I found myself “sucked” in to Edward and Bella’s love story in the Twilight series. Now I am a fast reader, but finishing all four books, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn in a week is a bit obsessive, don’t you think? At the end of the series, I experienced grief and loss, as if my corner of peace had suddenly disappeared, replaced by a reality with not so happy endings.

I discovered solace in their story, the “good vampire” who has the potential of killing humans but has overcome his desire, and thus becomes the protector of humanity. As he falls in love with Bella, who is an ordinary girl like most of us, he struggles with the truth of his potential while being pulled towards the goodness of love. In traditional vampire stories, the female object is often depicted in a robotic manner, unconsciously being drawn towards that which takes away her life force.  But in this story, the author highlights the power of true love and how it can create warmth and life in a heartless being.  Although it has the power of destruction, Edward and Bella’s love is nourishing.

Besides the fantasy of a beautiful, strong beyond words, perfectly sculpted male partner in the minds of most women, I feel the popularity of Twilight represents a shift in our consciousness. If we, especially the youth of our culture, can move from a place of darkness to light, controlling the inherent destructive forces, then perhaps we can find the good vampire within. Instead of sucking the creative life energy from each other and the environment, we can become the protector of the good and transform humanity.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “From Darkness to Love..Transform Your Inner Vampire”

1. Wow. You read 4 Twilight books in one week? Your family must have felt a little abandoned 😉

You are right about the role of women in prior vampire stories – they were merely a fly at the wall. But that was pretty much their role in society.

Seeing the "story" changed a bit reflects our modern times (hopefully). The good vampire within? Let's see how popular hickeys will become :-)

I am just a little afraid that kids stop believing in Santa and switch to vampires instead.

2. rashin says:

Luckily I have a wonderful family who is quite understanding in my moments of recluse 😉
    I like your comparison of the depiction of women in the traditional vampire stories and their role in our society. The shift in our culture can very well represent the "feminine consciousness" that is better represented today than ever before.
    Thank you for reading the article and commenting!

3. Angela says:

Hahahaha, you guys are sooo funny. I do agree with your views on this series. As a parent of a tween girl who adores the series, I was curious. After the books were briefly banned at her school, I was intrigued (and furious). What I like, from what I've read and seen (the movie with hundreds of sighing tween girls) is the duality within us all. We all have the capacity for good and evil. We make choices every day. We make choices from moment to moment. I appreciated the basic story that while you might feel an urge, a pull, in one direction, you can still make choices. Vampires will not replace Santa, they'll just be viewed in a different *glittery* light :)

• rashin says:

Hi Angela,
      You are right about the duality within us. The shift in our society can simply be that acknowledgment and the awareness that we have choices. Thanks for reading!

4. Martina says:

I have not read any of the books related to the Twilight series, but now have to find the time to do that.
    4 books in one week…if I remember the books aren't thin.
    I am so proud of you Rashin with the path you wanted for yourself that nothing stood in the way of what you wanted. You have accomplished so much for and have worked so hard.

5. rashin says:

Thanks Martina and reading the blog post and commenting. I appreciate your feedback. And yes, the books are definitely worth reading, especially on all your travels.

6. rashin says:

Thanks Martina, for taking the time to read and comment on the blog post. Yes, the Twilight series are definitely worth reading, especially if you need to escape for a while!

7. Nihil Nil says:

Carolin Myss has some very interesting thoughts about the Vampire as a personality archetype.

8. Suzie says:

OK…I also need to read this series. They are a little ahead of my daughter, as we are still reading about the adventures of Junie B. Jones. (I do not think she has any Vampires in her stories just yet!)
    I will say…I do like the idea that in good vs evil that the good in us can and will persevere. When it comes to the young, impressionable "tweens"…there needs to be more of the positive hitting the media.